Understanding the impact certain activities have on your skin will help you undertake a dynamic skincare routine to improve your complexion. In this post, I'll look at a few key activities that require some preparation and some post-activity care. Let's start with the most common question: How do I prepare my skin for exercise?
When we exercise, it's important to start with clean skincare as the skin is an organ that breathes and absorbs, so having a fresh, clean start means toxins will not be absorbed by the skin when you perspire. Also, using chemical-free makeup pre-exercise (I know some of you do!) will ensure that anything on your skin will not cause skin irritation, block the pores or absorb nasties. In contrast, the right skincare or makeup can actually protect the skin from environmental damage. For example, when I attend yoga, I love a little of our beauty balm fair on my skin as I know it's toxin-free, prevents premature ageing and is full of antioxidants to protect from environmental damage (like lights, pollution and air-conditioning). In addition, it provides a little matte coverage, so when I work out, I don't look all red and a sweaty mess! Both formulas (our fair and medium tints) contain Vitamin C for a significant skin boost, plus a natural sun filter to protect your skin.
Before exercising, cleanse, moisturise and add an antioxidant-rich serum if you are addicted to these active skin boosters - I sure am. These superheroes neutralise the effects of free radical damage (when skin ages prematurely).
Post-exercise the cleansing process is crucial as when we exercise and perspire, our skin can absorb what is on it. Double cleansing is mandatory when wearing makeup so ensure this is done and your skin will feel ready for anything. To tailor to your skin condition, you can choose two different cleansers for your double cleanse. We advise starting with the rich, emulsifying organicspa cream cleanser that nourishes and removes grime. Then, to brighten and revitalise your skin, follow with the organicsceuticals lactic gel cleanser. Complete with AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acids), it gently resurfaces and improves skin texture with its unique complex of fruit acids.
You can of course also double cleanse with only the cream cleanser which will nourish normal to dry complexions, and offer an ultra-hydrating cleanse for dehydrated skin. Alternatively for oily or combination skin you can second cleanse with our organicspa foam cleanser. It's a clarifying and soap-free formula that gently removes impurities to balance your complexion naturally.
Occasions that Call for Makeup
Makeup and skincare go hand in hand, and if you wear makeup regularly or often, it's even more essential you include these steps in your skincare routine:
- Double cleanse to remove makeup and clean your skin, allowing it to breathe. A double cleanse also ensures the skin will not become clogged, irritated or leave you with a breakout from the mixture of toxins and makeup.
- Exfoliate gently once to twice a week. To get into the habit, just pick two days of the week. This habit will really see your skin transform.
- Tone and revitalise your skin with the organicspa toning mist. It's a hydrating aromatherapy mist that doubles as a makeup setting spray and hydration booster over makeup.
- Choose a serum and moisturiser to target your skin type and condition, as this will ensure your makeup glides on and stays on. For example, if your skin is dehydrated, your makeup will not sit well and may look dull and patchy. So, by adding the organicsceuticals biohydra+ serum under your moisturiser and makeup, you lock in moisture and assist your skin in feeling and looking healthy, plump and hydrated.
QUICK TIP: If your makeup doesn't blend well, evaporates quickly or peels, check the quality of your makeup and opt for a natural one with Certified Organic ingredients. If it's still happening, it could be due to your skin needing a cleanse, or it's time to exfoliate - you must do this regularly. If you're cleansing correctly and exfoliating regularly, your natural makeup will sit on your skin beautifully. Simply, makeup will last longer and look better when your skin is in optimal condition.
Bedtime & Your Skincare
Oh, that beautiful clean, fresh skin feeling once you have cleansed your face!
Night-time ritualistic care involves divine aromas, luxurious textures, and a warm compress with a cleansing cloth. Always use a cleansing cloth to gently remove your cleanser from your face, as this will provide a thorough clean and be gentle on your skin.
Avoid standing under hot running shower water - this is a sure-fire way to dehydrate your skin, cause redness, prematurely age your skin and increase sensitivity.
Add serums or oils to your night routine. These will work quickly to improve your skin as they are packed with active ingredients that are better absorbed during the night - let them work while you sleep.
Massaging an oil into the skin is also a fantastic way to improve blood and lymph flow, smooth fine lines, boost the skin's functions and result in freshly oxygenated blood and a healthier complexion. I love the organicsceuticals antioxidant face oil. I use several drops on damp skin (after my organicspa toning mist), and I spend a few minutes morning and night massaging this into my skin before my moisturiser. Always work with the facial contours when massaging; upwards and outwards is best, gently but with a little pressure. This oil provides the ultimate antioxidant armour for our skin cells and works well with the Gua Sha. Drawing on the detoxifying benefits of a Traditional Chinese Medicine stone massage, this Rose Quartz tool will help you lift, tone and firm your skin. It also just feels luxurious and such a treat.
Don't forget your eyes; they deserve particular care because they are one of the areas where we use a lot of muscles for expression. Unfortunately, they're also one of the first areas to show signs of tiredness, ageing and puffiness.
- Choose organicspa eye gel to cool and refresh eyes and reduce dark circles and puffiness.
- organicspa eye balm to hydrate and protect the eye area.
- organicseuticals eye treat for more demanding/mature skin to deliver a cocktail of actives to brighten, nourish and firm the delicate eye contour.
When do Masks Become a Necessity?
During cooler months or when your skin is a little drier or dull, apply the organicspa cream mask as it's an essential skin booster and intense overnight treatment. You can use the mask instead of a night cream two to three times per week. Leave it on overnight, as it's a cream and soaks in.
Use after cleansing and toning. If your skin is dry or irritated, add organicspa rosehip oil for extra nourishment. Mix the mask with our organicsceuticals antioxidant face oil if you want to brighten and further rejuvenate your skin.
The Great Indoors
Let's consider the time we spend indoors, whether that's the office, the home office or the car. We all work from a multitude of places. Looking at indoor spaces, we're often exposed to air conditioning and blue light while sitting in front of our computers. Likewise, there's probably AC in our cars. If not, we may have the window down, allowing road pollution to enter.
Many of us must undergo this daily assault from our environment, and that's why our biochemists are helping to reduce this toxic load. By creating botanical, Certified Organic skincare with visible efficacy, we're helping protect your skin from these environmental aggressors.
For your protection, I suggest including a serum, moisturiser and beauty balm in your daily skin routine before heading out. Of course, you will need to pick a moisturiser and BB cream suited to your skin type and condition, but most skin types will love this serum.
organicsceuticals active brightening serum is an anti-inflammatory formula that protects and strengthens the epidermis with Tomato Fruit Extract, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid and more. (If you want to learn more about this new product, read my introductory post.) It's perfect for protecting you from the environmental aggressors of that great indoors.
Choosing the right skincare products is not only about the results you want to see but also about protecting your skin.
There are many more occasions and products, so here are my tips for our multipurpose products that I haven't mentioned. These will see you through all your activities and provide your skin with a high concentration of skin-loving natural and Certified Organic ingredients:
- organicspa vitamin c serum – An antioxidant-rich and water-soluble must for all skin types. Perfect under every moisturiser to achieve an even skin tone, brighten and repair skin, plus it protects your skin from free radical damage, which results in premature skin ageing.
- organicspa day moisture – A lightweight cream for hydration and protection, packed with vitamins. Perfect for a normal/combination skin, and you can use it both day and night.
- organicspa intense moisture – A rich nourishing cream to hydrate and replenish a normal to dry skin with Hyaluronic Acid and botanical Vitamin A. Perfect to use both day and night.
- organicspa face exfoliant - This refining skin polisher works quickly and deeply to cleanse all skin types and can be used in the shower weekly to ensure your skin glows. Use regularly, and you will find your makeup sits perfectly, your pores will be clean, and all your other skincare products will absorb and work better. For a quick boost, it doubles as a deep cleansing mask if you leave it on for another five to ten minutes after you have worked it into damp skin with your fingertips.
Finally, drink plenty of skin-loving H2o, include antioxidants in your diet and protect your skin from the environment. Combined with the tips above, you're on your way to meeting all your skin aspirations.